Sunday, July 21, 2013

Spuds on the Grill

Oh spuds, how I love thee. Baked, mashed, fried....you are my comforting friend. Potatoes are allowed on the cleanse and one way I like to do them is on the BBQ. 


Take about a pound of potatoes, wash them and cut into chunks. Put them in a bowl and add:
- 1-1½ tbsp. olive oil
¾ tsp. onion powder
- ½ tsp. granulated garlic or garlic powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. zesty pepper medley* or freshly ground black pepper
¼ tsp. paprika
¾ tsp. dried parsley (or alternately you can use a couple of tbsp. of fresh parsley)


Toss it all to evenly distribute the spices and oil. 


Divide between 2 pieces of aluminum foil, each large enough to wrap the potatoes into a neat packet. I spray the foil with non-stick spray just to be safe. I've had potatoes stick before and then that browned loveliness that is so delicious gets stuck on the foil. 


Sometimes I'll omit the paprika, use just half of the amount of onion and garlic powder and throw a sprig of fresh rosemary into the packet with the potatoes. As they cook, the rosemary releases it's essence and gives the potatoes a nice subtle hint flavour. 


I double wrap and for the second layer I use heavy duty aluminum foil. I don't want the spuds to burn. Now these babies are ready to go onto a preheated BBQ. Jim is our resident barbecuer and he'll put these on the lower rack at medium temperature, close the lid and leave for about 10-15 minutes, then he'll flip them, close the lid and leave for another 10-15 minutes. If you're cooking other things on the barbecue, then these can get moved to the top rack to keep them hot.  


All done! They come out a nice golden brown and are super delicious. See....this cleansing business isn't so bad, is it? 

* I get zesty pepper medley at the Bulk Barn. It's a nice mix of different peppers. If you don't have it, regular freshly ground black pepper will work just fine. 

2 comments:

  1. Quite often we have potatoes this way at home. We use Halifax Spice and sprinkle a bit of Romano or Parmesan cheese on before sealing the packet. If you are going to use cheese, then the foil really needs to be sprayed with oil or the cheese will stick. It is also easily adapted for the oven too. ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love roasted potatoes! It's been way too long since I've made them, though!

    ReplyDelete