Sunday, February 23, 2014

Citrus Spinach Salad

Am I the only one feeling like winter will never end? I'm wishing for signs of spring and although there aren't any to be found outside, I can pretend inside.

This sunny salad is so delicious, you'll be out of the winter doldrums in a snap, proclaiming "Winter, schminter!"


I adapted this from a Rachael Ray recipe. I'm not a big fan of hers. Truth be told, I can't watch her show because she annoys the hell out of me. I found this recipe when I was doing a search one day a few years ago. It's simple and uses just a few ingredients, but is very yummy. Winter be damned! 

Citrus Spinach Salad 

Dressing: 
1 tbsp. orange marmalade 
1½ tbsp. red wine vinegar
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
shake of salt
couple of grinds of pepper

8 oz. (approx.) baby spinach or baby spinach/arugula mix
several thin half-moon slices of red onion
several thin slices of fennel 
canned mandarin orange slices, drained
sliced almonds
(The measurements for the actual salad components are up to you, depending on what you like) 

In a small bowl, whisk together the marmalade and red wine vinegar until fairly well blended. Stream the oil into the salad while whisking. Season with salt and pepper. 

In a large salad bowl, toss the spinach, onion & fennel with a little of the dressing. Top with oranges and almonds and dribble a little more dressing on top. Serve.

1 comment: