Thursday, August 1, 2013

Chickpea & Squash Patties

In trying to keep this cleanse as exciting as possible for myself and especially for Jim, who is doing it for the first time, has proved to be a bit of a challenge. We don't have normal work schedules and trying to get some sort of eating routine in place during this time has been a bit of a challenge as well. But I think we have succeeded on both counts. We may have been eating our breakfast at 11am and our dinner at 9pm, but at least we've been consistent. 

When I did this cleanse the first time, I sourced out a few good recipes on-line and had them printed off and ready to go. Lucky for me, I'm a cookbook junkie and have a lot of veg*n cookbooks that I was able to find some more suitable recipes in. Then while shopping at Goodness Me! I found the cookbook that accompanies the cleanse. So I added that to my collection. One of the things I tried this time around was 'Chickpea & Squash Patties'. Now, squash is not something that either Jim or I much care for, but the recipe only called for 1 cup and gave a tip to look for already cut-up squash in small packages. Even the cut squash was more than we would ever eat, then I had a brilliant idea. Use a sweet potato instead! It worked out wonderfully I'm glad to say. 



Just like the Slow Cooker Mexican Tofu, this surprised me at just how delicious it was. And to my delight, Jim REALLY liked these. He even ate more for breakfast and suggested I make them when we're off the cleanse. The cookbook suggested Lemon Tahini Dressing be served on the side.


It didn't seem to really compliment the cakes. When I started to whiz the dressing together, I decided not to put in all the milk required to thin it out because it would have become too runny. By doing that, it may have made the tahini flavour overwhelm the sauce which in turn didn't seem like a good fit for the cakes. It wasn't bad by any means, just not a good compliment in our opinion. 

The original recipe is available on their Facebook page but this is what I did. 

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Patties

1½ cups cooked chickpeas (or 1 19-oz. can drained & rinsed), mashed
1 cup grated sweet potato
1 cup grated potato (squeeze out excess water)
1 egg, beaten
3 green onions, chopped
2 tbsp. parsley, chopped
1¼ tsp. lemon pepper
¾ tsp. cumin
½ salt
½ cup oatmeal* (see note)
2 tbsp. chia seeds* (see note)
olive oil for frying 

Mash the chickpeas in a food processor using pulse action. Do not puree. Or use a potato masher and mash in a large bowl.  Add sweet potato, potato, egg, onion, parsley, lemon pepper, cumin, salt and mix throughly. 

Heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Form mixture into patties about 4-5 inches in diameter. Fry in skillet until browned, about 4 minutes on each side. 

*Note: I made the mix up the night before and refrigerated it. The next morning more liquid had come out of the potatoes and the mix was kind of sloppy. I added 2 tbsp. of chia seeds and ½ cup of oatmeal and let the mixture sit for about 30 minutes. The chia seeds and the oatmeal soaked up some of the excess liquid and made it easier to handle and to make the patties. They turned out crispy on the outside and nicely soft on the inside. 

Lemon Tahini Dressing (as it appears in the cookbook) 

2/3 cup plain soy milk
5 tbsp. lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup tahini
1/8 tsp. sesame oil

Place all ingredients in blender and puree for 1 minute at high speed. 

That would really make a lot! These are the measurements I used: 

2 tbsp. soy milk (use more if you like it thinner)
2½ tbsp. lemon juice
1 small garlic clove
¼ scant tsp. salt
4 tbsp. tahini
dribble of sesame oil
freshly ground pepper 

I have an immersion blender that comes with a very handy cup attachment with a small, but super-sharp blade. It's like a mini blender/chopper and I find it very handy for smaller measurements. It's also great for grinding up seeds and nuts. If you are in the market for an immersion blender, I highly recommend getting one with this attachment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment