Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Kale Pie

I love pie, so when my friend, Dynise said she was writing a new cookbook all about pie I couldn't wait to get my mitts on it.


This is a beautiful book. There are colour pictures of every recipe, chapters on classic pies, sweet pies, savoury pies, raw pies, pies that aren't pies, different crusts, tarts and so on. I tested a few of the recipes for this book and everything I made was fabulous. I was so excited to see all of the other pies that I wanted to make.


I scored some kale at Goodness Me! for $1.49! Can you believe it? The regular stuff was $2.99 at the grocery store. I'd gotten some a couple of weeks before that at $1.69 which I thought was a deal. This just blew the other out of the water. 

I found a recipe in Dynise's book for kale pie that sounded magically delicious. I had all of the ingredients on hand, so my dinner dilemma was solved (for that day anyway). I started by following Dynise's intruction for a grain crust. She suggested millet, but I didn't have any in the pantry, so I did a brown rice crust. 


Then I got to work on the filling which included nuts and raisins. I love the sweet-savoury combo of pretty much anything. 

Just a little time in the oven and voila! (sorry the colour is weird in the photo. My camera settings were off) 


North African-Inspired Kale Pie


I quite liked this. I had a big slice for dinner and it kept well in the refrigerator for a couple of days and was easily heated up in the microwave, which makes it great for transporting to work for lunch. The filling stayed moist, and the crust didn't get soggy. Soooo.....what should I make next?  

Want to get your own copy of  "Pies and Tarts with Heart"? Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment